How do you report TE and DPOAEs in your clinic ? (transferred from the OLD Forum)
Posted by Transporter 
How do you report TE and DPOAEs in your clinic ? (transferred from the OLD Forum)
October 01, 2013 03:49PM
How do you report TE and DPOAEs in your clinic?
Posted by: Erica Zaia (IP Logged)
Date: March 13, 2009 05:23AM

We are revising our protocols and forms for OAEs and I was wondering how other colleagues report TE and DPOAEs results. Do you print out the results page from the software or do you fill out any sort of form? If you use a form, what are the results you report? (for instance, response, repro, responses per frequency band, noise, etc) What kind of comments you make correlating audiometric findings and OAEs?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Erica

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 03:54PM by Transporter.
Re: How do you report TE and DPOAEs in your clinic?
Posted by: stavrosh (IP Logged)
Date: March 17, 2009 01:37PM

Considering that screening is the main OAE application little has been developed regarding the use of OAES in the clinical practise. The custom forms we use in Ferrara (ITALY) report S/N ratios and correlation for TEs and S/N ratios for DPS at 1.0, 2.0, and 4.0 kHz.
For hearing threshold/ OAE information we use the Cochlea-Scan ( Zoth-Natus) device which is more reliable than other OAE approaches. This option is used really rarely and primarily (1) in mentally handicapped subjects who cannot get an objective audiometry or (2) children below the age of 6.
Posted by: Erica Zaia (IP Logged)
Date: March 18, 2009 05:58AM

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure I understand what you mean by reporting the correlation for TEOAEs. We use the ILO software and currently only report the response per frequency band. Is it the same data you are referring to?

I will look into the Cochlea-Scan as it sounds interesting but what I wonder is that if one reports the responses as ''consistent with audiogram'' for example, when the results are meeting what is expected and what kind of observation should a clinician make in a case were the OAEs are, for instance, worse than expected.

Once again, thanks for the answer.

Erica
Posted by: stavrosh (IP Logged)
Date: March 18, 2009 08:02AM

For the TEOAES, we use the global correlation index (reproducibility) as reported in the ILO recordings and not the band correlation. For the latter we prefer S/N ratios. This provides more compatibility with data from other TEOAE devices.

The relationship between threshold and OAEs is "tricky" and in this context Cochlea-Scan measurements cannot be as consistent as behavioral methods. Nevertheless th methodology is a positive addition to the battery of Audiological procedures and as I mentioned in my previous message useful for assessing certain types of patients.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login