Cochlear Implants and MUSIC : The case of Grzegorz Płonka
Cochlear Implants and MUSIC : The case of Grzegorz Płonka
October 01, 2015 11:38AM
Grzegorz Płonka

Cochlear implantation: left ear, 5 November 2007

‘Moonlight Sonata’

Grzegorz: Music is the only language in which I can fully express myself. It is my greatest passion.
His passions involve playing piano and pipe organ, piano tuning and computer programming. He can express with music more than using words. Paradoxically, he is able to hear even the slightest false note. He composes music, wrote such pieces as ‘Cuckoo’ and ‘Storm’.
Grzegorz: Due to multiple handicaps and faulty diagnoses my real education started when I was 14 years old. Then doctors in the Institute have diagnosed me with the profound bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. Thanks to hearing aids and later an implant I gained access to the world of sounds. I enjoyed music and wanted to play piano, but in spite of many tries I had been barred from such opportunity because I was hard of hearing. I could attend music therapy in the Music Social Centre.

I had cochlear implant in 2007. I was motivated by wish to be able to hear two high octaves which until then I could only imagine. Afterwards I resolved to fulfil my greatest dream. I taught myself to play Beethoven’s ‘Moonlight Sonata’. It was my passport to the music school in Laski. Two years later I had to leave Laski. Today I continue education in music school in Jablonka.

I am chiefly self-taught. Because of speech impediment and hearing loss I have huge problems in contact with other people.
‘Person with hearing loss is excluded from some spheres of life, although undeservedly’.

Author: Anna Obszanska,
World Hearing Center, Institute of Physiology and Pathology of Hearing, Warsaw/Kajetany, Poland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 12:49PM by Stavros Hatzopoulos.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login